This recipe is quite classic, slow quenching of the beef brisket with onions, garlic, carrots and a set of spices. One of my favorites. There are options with ketchup or horseradish sauce. Do not hesitate to add other root vegetables, parsnips, turnips, or rutabaga. You can use wine or beer instead of beef broth. This recipe is good for experimentation! When serving, cut the meat into thin slices across the fibers.
Cook time:3 hours
- Beef brisket - 1.6 kg.
- Salt - to taste.
- Olive oil - 1-2 tbsp. l.
- Onions - 3 pcs.
- Garlic (denticles) - 5-6 pieces.
- Thyme (twigs) - 1 pc.
- Bay leaf - 3-4 pcs.
- Beef broth - 2 glasses.
- Carrots - 2-3 pcs.
- Mustard - 1 tbsp. l.
- Cut off the excess fat from a piece of brisket, leaving a layer of fat of the desired thickness. Make cross-cuts, season with salt. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the frying pan with a thick bottom and place the brisket with the greasy side down. Fry over medium heat for 5-8 minutes. Then turn and fry the other side. Transfer to the plate.
- Add a chopped onion to a frying pan with a small amount of fat formed. Season with salt and fry the zoo slightly golden in color. Then add the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Turn on the oven to warm up to 150 degrees Centigrade. Mix the seasonings with a kitchen twine: bay leaf, rosemary and thyme.
- In the pan, on top of the onions, lay the seasonings and the brisket. Pour beef broth and cover. Place in the oven and cook for 3 hours, turning the brisket every hour for even cooking.
- After 3 hours, add the sliced carrots, cover again and continue cooking for another 1 hour until the meat is tender. Transfer the meat to a plate and cover with foil. Remove seasonings and from the rest of the mass make the sauce by beating the contents in the blender.