The festive dinner inspired by the arrival of our friends inspired me to create this French dessert. This is a flop pie - when it is preparing the filling at the bottom, and the dough at the top. It's just a magical pie, like many French dishes. Juicy fragrant filling is prepared from apples and strawberries, the cake turns out to be tender, just melting in the mouth. Dessert can also be prepared with various fruits: pears, pineapples or peaches.
Cook time:1 hour 30 minutes
- Apples - 3 pcs.
- Strawberry - 1 stack.
- Lemon for juice - 1/2 pcs.
- Sugar - 300 g.
- Butter - 8 tbsp. l.
- Puff pastry sheet - 1 pc.
- A ready-made puff pastry is used for this recipe. Pre-freeze it by placing it on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Purify the apples and cut into 4 pieces, remove the core. Mix with lemon juice and 1/3 cup sugar. Set aside for 20 minutes to let the apples start the juice. In a separate bowl, stir the strawberries with 2 tablespoons of sugar and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan. Add 1 glass of sugar and 3-4 tablespoons of juice from apples and lemon. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, about 15 minutes, until the mixture thickens, and the caramel will turn into color.
- Remove from the plate, put on the edge of apples and add 2 tablespoons of butter. Continue cooking on medium heat for 10 minutes, periodically pouring caramel sauce from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the strawberries in the middle and continue to simmer for 15-20 minutes on medium high heat, stirring constantly the liquid, pouring the sauce on apples and strawberries until caramel sauce thickens and shrinks in volume. Remove the frying pan from the heat, allow to stand until the liquid stops bubbling. Apples should not be too soft, and the sauce should not turn dark brown.
- On the floured surface, roll a sheet of puff pastry and cut a circle with a diameter that is wider than the diameter of the frying pan by 1.5 cm. Make cuts in the dough to allow steam to escape during baking. Place the dough round over the frying pan, filling the dough edges inside the frying pan.
- Place the frying pan in the oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes until the dough rises and becomes golden brown. Remove the frying pan from the oven and allow the cake to rest for a minute or two. Put the dish upside down in the pan and turn the cake over the dish. Be very careful not to get burned, as the frying pan is very hot.